WOW, I can't believe that this is the last day of our Artisan Design Team Blog Hop. It was gone by so fast. I hate to see it come to an end. But no worries...because every Wednesday we will have a new blog hop for you called the "Artisan Wednesday WOW". Each month Stampin' Up! sends the Artisan Design Team a generous box of goodies. We will create all kinds of fun stuff from those supplies to share here on our blogs every week. We've already been busy creating all sorts of fun things that we can't wait to share.
Now for the task at hand. I have saved my favorite Artisan Design Team submission for the grand finale. This big, red flower caused quite a stir at convention. Everyone was reaching over the ropes to touch it and then speculating on how they thought it was made. I was asked at least a hundred times "how did you do that?' So read on if you want to know how to make one for yourself.
I am a big believer in giving credit where credit is due when it comes to things I share on my blog. So, I want to tell you a quick story. A while back Diana Gibbs featured an amazing garden stake project on her blog. So, before I even begin, I want to give Dianna credit for inspiring this project. I spoke to her on the telephone this morning and she said that I really needed to give credit to demonstrator who inspired her. Linda Barnes demonstrated the garden stake project in San Antonia at Leadership Convention and Diana CASEd it and tweaked it some. After talking to Linda, she said that it would be fine to link to Diana's blog because there is a video tutorial. So a big thanks goes to both of these really nice gals, without whom I would have NEVER thought to create this project in the first place. With all of that being said, I used the 10"x10' rolled aluminum flashing from the home improvement store and cut it with the Dresden Die (now retired), Scallop Circle Die, and the 3-1/2" circle die. Remember, it has to be the aluminum flashing on the roll because it is about the thickness of an aluminum can and NOT the little rectangles that you can buy (because those are much too thick for the Big Shot).
This isn't a difficult project, but you do need to be careful not to cut yourself. There are a lot of sharp edges. More than anything, this project takes quite a bit of time to complete. The initial preparation is fairly quick. First, I cut the flashing into manageable-sized pieces so it would fit through my Big Shot. Next, I cut two of the scallop circles so that you have one for the flower center and a extra one for the back as a base. Then I washed all of the pieces in the sink with Dawn dish washing liquid to remove any oily residue. I lightly sanded all the pieces and then wiped them down with rubbing alcohol. After that I ran each piece through the Big Shot again using various embossing folders. The flashing is basically close to the same thickness as a soda can, so it embosses easily. Then I carried it all outside and spray painted all the individual pieces with Valspar Gloss Spray Paint and allowed it to dry for a while in the sun.
Once everything was dry enough to move, I brought everything back inside so that the paint wouldn't get messed up overnight. I let the paint cure for about 48 hours before moving on to the next step. The petals needed something to make the edges stand out, so I used an art sponge and some Jet Black StazOn ink to carefully ink the edges. Finally, I laid everything out and arranged the petals the way that I wanted them and used E6000 jewelry adhesive to assemble it. Nashville is really humid so it took a long time to dry. I did the bottom layer (big petals) first and set a heavy candlestick on the center to keep everything in place while it dried for about 24 hours. I repeated this step with the smaller petals and then finally I added the flower center and allowed that to dry for a few days as well. Once you know that everything is completely dry, you can use a bone folder or something similar to gently curl the petals...this is where you need to be extra careful not to cut yourself! I don't want angry hate mail telling me that I didn't warn you! I needed a way to hang it on the wall, so I used some pull tabs from soda cans and glued those to the back. If you have a Crop-a-dile hole punch, you can also punch a couple of holes in the flower base to hang some wire on. That's all there is to it. I think it took about 2-3 weeks for me to complete the entire process.
INGREDIENTS: Embossing Folders: Elegant Lines, Elegant Bouquet, Vintage Wallpaper, Petals-a-Plenty, Houndstooth, Stripes, Square Lattice, Perfect Polka Dots, Chevron, Fancy Fan, Vine Street, Honeycomb, Woodgrain, Lacy Brocade; Accessories: Big Shot Machine, Dresden Designs Bigz Die; 3-1/2" Circle Die; StazOn Black Ink Pad, Stamping Sponge, Sanding Block; Other: Aluminum Rolled Flashing, Valspar Gloss Spray Paint (Cut Ruby & Gold Abundance), E6000 Adhesive, Soda Can Pull Tabs
Don't miss a single project...